Look forward to a wide range of benefits, including improved overall health, when you join the Courage in Motion fitness program.
Courage in Motion
Courage in Motion is designed for people currently receiving cancer treatment and those who received treatment in the past year. A loved one or family caregiver can join at the same time. Exercise may reduce the risk of cancer coming back. Plus, your fitness group offers friendship and support.
There is no charge for this program. Courage in Motion sponsored by Mary Greeley Medical Center and Ames Fitness Center (AFC).
Benefits of Fitness
Regular exercise during and after cancer treatment can help:
- Improve physical abilities
- Improve quality of life
- Increase independence
- Lower the risk of falls by improving balance
- Lower the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis (weak bones)
- Maintain or enhance self-esteem and mental health
- Reduce treatment side effects
What to Expect
When you participate, you receive:
- Six-week session at Mary Greeley
- 12-week membership to AFC - with access to exercise classes, including indoor cycling, Pilates, aqua fitness, and yoga
Your six-week Courage in Motion session includes:
- Two weekly classes held at the medical center's Rehab & Wellness department, locate din the lower level of the Medical Arts Building at 1015 Duff Ave. in Ames. Classes are led by an exercise physiologist with Mary Greeley's Rehab & Wellness Department
- Exercise class: Mondays from 2:00 - 2:45pm
- Water class in the Rehab & Wellness therapy pool: Fridays from 2:00 - 2:45pm
Exercise sessions do not require any previous fitness experience and can accommodate various skill levels.
Weekly Sessions at AFC
After your six weeks at Mary Greeley, you have the choice to continue weekly sessions at AFC.